Wednesday, July 31, 2024

The Book Of Isaiah. Day 187, A Song Of Praise, Part Two

The section we are currently studying in Chapter 42 is titled "A Song Of Praise". The Lord talks about how He will bring forth help and healing.

"For a long time I have kept silent. I have kept quiet and have held Myself back. But now, like a woman in childbirth, I cry out, I gasp and pant." (Isaiah 42:14) A new thing will be done and the Lord likens it to a new life being born. He is going to bring forth deliverance for His people.

Nothing can get in His way. "I will lay waste the mountains and hills and dry up all their vegetation; I will turn rivers into islands and dry up the pools." (Isaiah 42:15) The Lord is certainly able to literally flatten mountains and dry up rivers, although I think He is speaking figuratively here. He will remove all obstacles. Nothing is able to thwart His plans.

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth." (Isaiah 42:16a) The Lord opens our eyes to His truth. His word is truth and He uses it to light the way for us. As Psalm 119:105 expresses it: "Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path." As children of God, we never have to stumble around blindly in the dark. 

The Lord intends to do these wonderful things. He is not making empty promises. Every word He speaks is absolutely true. "These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." (Isaiah 42:16b) In our frail mortal bodies and in our human way of thinking we sometimes doubt God is going to do anything good for us. We know we are not perfect and this makes us feel as if God should not or cannot do something good for us. But His goodness doesn't depend on us! God does good things because He is good! 

The Lord knows His children and the Lord loves His children. Those who reject Him are rejecting love and mercy and forgiveness. That is why He says this about those who reject Him in favor of idolatry: "But those who trust in idols, those who say to images, 'You are our gods,' will be turned back in utter shame." (Isaiah 42:17) In contrast to what happens to idolaters, the Lord says this about those who trust in Him: "Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame." (Psalm 34:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment