Thursday, July 18, 2024

The Book Of Isaiah. Day 179, The Helper Of Israel, Part Two

In the first portion of Chapter 41 the Lord called upon all the nations to witness the fact that He alone predicts things that come to pass exactly as He says they will. Way back in generations past He foretold many things that had already come true by Isaiah's day, yet we find a lot of the nations not taking this knowledge to heart in today's text.

Seeing the mighty works of the Lord causes a lot of the citizens of the world to fall into fear but in our passage today it's not the holy and reverent fear that leads to repentance. It's a worldly fear that causes them to double down on looking in the wrong direction for help.

"The islands have seen it and fear; the ends of the earth tremble. They approach and come forward; they help each other and say to their companions, 'Be strong!' The metalworker encourages the goldsmith, and the one who smooths with the hammer spurs on the one who strikes the anvil. One says of the welding, 'It is good.' The other nails down the idol so it will not topple." (Isaiah 41:5-7)

Earlier in our study this week we found the Lord reminding mankind that He is the source of true and enduring strength. But here we find the people of the pagan nations encouraging each other to find strength in the inner man. And what do they do when they summon a little strength by sheer effort of will? They make more idols! They call upon false gods instead of calling upon the Lord their Creator.

The Lord cautions the people of Isaiah's nation not to do what the heathens do. They are not to fall into worldly fear and fall into the trap of idolatry. They are to remember who they are. "But you, Israel, My servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham My friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, 'You are My servant'; I have chosen you and have not rejected you." (Isaiah 41:8-9)

These people are to remember who their God is and who they are in Him. This will anchor them in the truth. This will keep them from falling into the sins of the nations. This will keep them connected to the source of their protection and strength. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

I daresay that verse 10 is the "life verse" of a lot of believers. It is a beautiful and comforting verse for the child of God---not only for the descendants of Abraham who believe in Him but for the Gentiles who believe in Him. This verse is for everyone who has made Him their God: "for I am your God". Because He is always with us every second of every day, we can rely on Him like a small child relies on his father. When I was a small child I was never afraid whenever one of my parents was with me. In that same way we can trust in and rely on and rest in our heavenly Father. He is with us, so we need not fear. He has everything under control, so we need not be dismayed. He will provide the strength we need. He will uphold us with His powerful and righteous and loving hand, just as an earthly father holds the hand of his child to keep the child from stumbling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment