Sunday, June 5, 2022

The First Book Of Samuel. Day 87, Everyone Is Against David But The Lord

David and his men returned to their settlement at Ziklag after being discharged from the Philistine army. In their absence the Amalekites had raided the city, burning it and taking all its people captive. When we closed our study yesterday we found David's men so angry with him that they wanted to stone him to death.

Why do the men blame David? First of all, if David had not had a crisis of faith in Chapter 27, they wouldn't have been living in Philistine-controlled territory at all, for in weariness of body and mind and spirit he said, "One of these days I will be destroyed by the hand of Saul. The best thing I can do is escape to the land of the Philistines. Then Saul will give up searching for me anywhere in Israel, and I will slip out of his hand." (1 Samuel 27:1) If they had not been living in Ziklag, their families would not have been kidnapped. 

Second, if David had not been carrying out a deception against King Achish of the Philistines, the Amalekites would not have attacked their settlement. David has been pretending to the king that he's making forays into the towns of the Israelites, raiding them and bringing the plunder back to the king. But in truth he's been raiding "the Geshurites, the Girzites and the Amalekites". (1 Samuel 27:8a) And it's not just that he stole their goods; the Bible tells us, "Whenever David attacked an area, he did not leave a man or a woman alive." (1 Samuel 27:9a) He showed no mercy to any of the inhabitants of anyplace he raided because he was afraid a survivor might let the word out that he's attacking Israel's enemies, not Israel. A primary reason the Amalekites raided Ziklag (besides the fact that raiding and pillaging is an activity they regularly engaged in) was no doubt in retaliation for David's treatment of their people. 

The third reason David's men blame him is because his deception of King Achish was so successful that the king commanded them all to serve in his army. Instead of finding some way to exempt himself and his men from serving in an army that intends to go to war against Israel, he bragged that this would really give the king an opportunity to "see for yourself what your servant can do". (1 Samuel 28:2a) If they had not been away from home with the Philistine army, their city would not have been left undefended by all its strong, able-bodied men. These six hundred men would probably have been able to repel an invasion by the Amalekites. 

The men blame David because David is to blame. I believe David knows he is to blame because, unlike King Saul, he doesn't try to excuse his behavior. He recognizes he's been in the wrong and does the only thing he can do in a situation like this: he calls out to the Lord for mercy and help. I think he asks forgiveness from Him at the same time, though the Bible doesn't tell us what he may have said or done while this happens: "But David found strength in the Lord his God." (1 Samuel 30:6b) There's no other place where encouragement can be had. Even his most ardent supporters have turned against him. There's no one to whom he can turn for help but to the Lord. But that's when miracles happen! That's when great spiritual victories are won! When the Lord is all we have, that's when we find out that the Lord is all we need.

David evidently engages in a time of prayer and worship, making sure nothing is standing between him and his God, asking the Lord to direct his steps after getting out of step with the Lord for a season. Once things have been made right between him and the Lord, he's ready for action. He's ready to do whatever the Lord says to do. He calls for the priest to bring the ephod out of which to cast the Urim and Thummim, in the sight of all the men, so both he and the six hundred soldiers with him can witness the answer of the Lord. "Then David said to Abiathar the priest, the son of Ahimelek, 'Bring me the ephod.' Abiathar brought it to him, and David inquired of the Lord, 'Shall I pursue this raiding party? Will I overtake them?' 'Pursue them,' He answered. 'You will certainly overtake them and succeed in the rescue.'" (1 Samuel 30:7-8) In tomorrow's study the men will rally behind David again after hearing the Lord's answer. More than anything in the world, they want their families back and are willing to do anything it takes to get them back, even if that means following a man who lately hasn't been setting the best example for them.

But David sets a good example for them in today's text and he sets a good example for us too. He's recognized, confessed, and repented of his mistakes. This is something we all must do when we become aware of wrongdoing. But after making things right with the Lord, David doesn't wallow in self-pity and regret. He moves on. He does what the Lord tells him to do next. He doesn't let his mistakes keep him from doing great things for the Lord and for his fellow man. When we keep wallowing in guilt over things we've already repented of, we tend to get stuck right where we are. It's very difficult to move forward and do the things the Lord would have us do if we keep telling ourselves, "I always mess up! Why am I so stupid? I don't deserve any blessings from the Lord. I am not worthy to do anything for Him. He can't possibly want somebody like me, with my bad track record, doing things in His name. How can he use a sinner like me?" We won't get far when we say things like this to ourselves. That's why we must encourage ourselves in the goodness of our God by saying things like, "The Lord loves me. The Lord has forgiven me. He still wants to do good things for me and He still wants to do good things through me. He is still my Father and I am still His child. Though I have made mistakes, He has not disowned me. On my own I may not be much but if the Lord is with me, I have all I need. He will enable me to do things that I could not do in my own weak flesh. The power to live an honorable life comes from Him, not from myself, and on Him I will depend."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment