Sunday, August 18, 2024

The Book Of Isaiah. Day 195, Do Not Be Afraid

Before we start today's study I need to apologize for my absence here. I missed several days of Bible study last week and I'm sorry. I'm going through a tough season in my life and several things happened last week that caused me to run out of time to work on the Bible study in the mornings. I do the study in the mornings because my mind is sharper but I may have to switch temporarily to doing it in the evenings until some situations in my life are resolved.

In our last session we began Chapter 44 and it started out with the Lord assuring Isaiah's people that He has not forgotten them. He has not rejected them. He has not stopped blessing them. He has a glorious future planned for them.

"For I will pour out water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out My spirit on your offspring, and my blessings on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. Some will say, 'I belong to the Lord;' others will call themselves by the name of Jacob; still others will write on their hand, 'The Lord's,' and will take the name Israel." (Isaiah 44:3-5) We often need our souls refreshed just like dry ground needs refreshed by water. The Lord is able to pour the Holy Spirit abundantly upon us. In fact, the Lord Jesus used the same metaphor in comparing the Spirit to water when He said, "The water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (John 4:14b) When we receive the Lord Jesus as our Savior, the Holy Spirit comes to reside within us, to ever be with us, to ever guide us, to ever refresh our weary souls.

A time will come when idolatry will no longer be practiced among the descendants of Jacob. People will proudly announce that they are the Lord's---and not just the people of Israel but people from all over the world. Many from the Gentile nations will want to know the Lord and to identify themselves with the people of Israel. We have already seen a lot of this fulfilled. There are people from all over the world who have come to believe in the God of Israel and in His Messiah: the Lord Jesus Christ. Untold numbers of idols have been forsaken in favor of the living God.

"This is what the Lord says---Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from Me there is no God." (Isaiah 44:6) No one created God. He is the only deity. None existed before Him to create Him. He will always be the only deity (in the form of the Holy Trinity) and therefore no other god will ever exist. Rather, He will exist forever. Just as He has always existed all the way into eternity past, He will always exist all the way into eternity future.

No one can provide proof that there are any other gods. The Lord issues a challenge for proof to be presented. No idol can speak up and defend itself. A person can take an idol and chop it up or burn it and there is nothing an idol can do to prevent this. Neither can the deity it presents, for the deity does not exist. No idol has ever spoken to mankind or done anything for mankind. "Who then is like Me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before Me what has happened since I established My ancient people, and what is yet to come---yes, let them foretell what to come." (Isaiah 44:7-8)

No idol and no priest of idolatry can tell them what they need to know. There is no help or guidance to be found there. Help and guidance is found in Almighty God who created everything that exists, who loves us, who wants the best for us, who wants us to place all our trust in Him so we can share in a glorious eternal existence with Him. "Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are My witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one." (Isaiah 44:8)

No one can provide proof that any other god exists. And since God existed before all things, no other god could possibly exist unless He created one, and He did not. And if the god had to be created, is it even a god? The Lord is reassuring them that He is the only Rock and Redeemer. He is the only Helper. He is the only Provider. He is the only Healer. He is the only Savior. They can rest on that firm foundation. He knows that in our human frailty we sometimes harbor doubts and worries. I know I do and you probably do too. I've done some fear and trembling. I wish I could say I never have but that wouldn't be true. The Lord is so compassionate toward us because He is aware of our frailty. He remembers that we are made of dust. (Psalm 103:14) He understands that we need reassurance from time to time, which is why He says so many times in the Bible, "Do not fear." I feel like today's passage really speaks to my heart. I am the Lord's and because I am His child, He says to me, "Do not tremble, do not be afraid." He says the same thing to you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment