Sunday, August 4, 2024

The Book Of Isaiah. Day 189, Summoned By Name

The Lord reminds Isaiah's people that He called them by name, that they are His, and that He is their Savior.

"But now, this is what the Lord says---He who created you, Jacob, He who formed you, Israel: 'Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are Mine." (Isaiah 43:1) We know that Israel fell to Assyria and Judah fell to Babylon. But we also know that the Lord says that these people will never cease to be a nation before Him. (Jeremiah 31:36) Even while they are scattered, they are still a nation in His eyes.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." (Isaiah 43:2) This is a beautiful verse for the child of God. We live in a world that looks like it is out of control but looks are deceiving. God loves us. God has redeemed us. God is for us.

One of the commentaries I studied pointed out that the child of God is walking through the fire in the verse above, not running. This creates in my mind the picture of the dearly loved child of God walking calmly, unscathed, down a path the Lord has created through the leaping flames. I am reminded of how the Lord protected Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego who didn't even smell like smoke when they were retrieved from the fiery furnace.

The Lord never said that life on earth wouldn't have its share of troubles but He encourages us not to fear because He is with us. I am currently struggling through some troubles and I wish I could say that I have never given in to fear about them but that wouldn't be true. In our frail mortal bodies we have a tendency to give in to fear, and I deeply desire your prayers and would very much appreciate them to help me to stand strong against fear. 

Knowing the beautiful promises the Lord makes to His children is so important. We need these verses at our disposal when times get tough. We are never in the deep waters alone. We are never in the fire alone. The Lord who redeemed us will give us victory over these things. I can't recall who said this but I once heard someone say something like this, "The Lord doesn't just want to keep us from drowning in the sea; He wants to make us walk on the water." In other words, "We are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." (Romans 8:37) 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment