Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The Letter Of The Apostle Paul To The Romans. Day 51, Minister To The Gentiles

Paul rejoices in his ministry to the Gentiles and he gives glory to Christ for His saving work among the Gentiles.

"I myself am convinced, brothers and sisters, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with knowledge and and competent to instruct one another." (Romans 15:14) He doesn't want his readers to think he is writing to them because he thinks they are not able to tell good from evil. As Christians they are indwelt by the same Holy Spirit who indwells Paul. He doesn't want them to feel he is talking down to them.

But as a man called by God to be a minister of the gospel, Paul wants to share his insight and experience with the believers at Rome. "Yet I have written to you quite boldly on some points to remind you of them again, because of the grace God gave me to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles. He gave me the priestly duty of proclaiming the gospel of God, so that the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to God, sanctified by the Holy Spirit." (Romans 15:15-16)

"Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in My service to God. I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done---by the power of signs and wonders, through the power of the Spirit of God." (Romans 15:17-19a) Paul can only speak of the things God has done through him; he knows he is not the only minister God has called to lead the Gentiles to Christ. But he can speak of the great things God has done in his ministry without bragging on himself. He gives all the glory to Jesus Christ. The signs and wonders were not performed through the power of Paul. The conversion of souls was not accomplished through the power of Paul. So in rejoicing over what God has done for the Gentiles, Paul is not giving glory and honor to himself. He's pointing all the glory and honor to the Lord.

The honor and glory for anything good we accomplish on this earth must go to Christ. If I have ever helped anyone in any way in the faith, Christ alone deserves the praise. Before Christ saved me I was not a very sympathetic or compassionate person. If a particular situation did not directly affect my own life, I didn't concern myself with it. I loved my family members and friends, but I can't honestly say I loved my fellow man in general. Saying, "I love you," even to those close to me was difficult. It just didn't come naturally. So, like Paul, I can't brag about myself, because I know what my carnal nature is like. I know who I was before Christ saved me. I know my human tendencies to be selfish and cold. But also like Paul, I can give honor and glory to Christ for the changes He has made in me. I still make mistakes. Paul did too. We all do. But thanks be to the Lord Jesus, we aren't who we used to be.

"So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ. It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else's foundation." (Romans 15:19b-20) Paul was not the only person preaching to the Gentiles. He didn't go barging into territories where other men were doing the gospel work, as if he had more authority than they did. Instead he focused on getting the gospel to people who had never heard it. His goal wasn't to "add to" anything other ministers were doing, but to make sure as many people as possible had access to the gospel.

"Rather, is it is written: 'Those who were not told about Him will see, and those who have not heard will understand.'" (Romans 15:21) This quote is from Isaiah 52:15. The prophet spoke these words right before penning his vision of the crucifixion in Isaiah 53. He said of the Suffering Servant, the Lord Jesus Christ, "See, My Servant will act wisely; He will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted. Just as there were many who were appalled at Him---His appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any human being and His form marred beyond human likeness---so He will sprinkle many nations, and kings will shut their mouths because of Him. For what they were not told, they will see, and what they have not heard, they will understand.'" (Isaiah 52:13-15)

Paul is saying, "These Scriptures are being fulfilled before your very eyes. The gospel is going out to all the nations, just as God said it would. It has nothing to do with my talents or abilities, and it has nothing to do with the talents and abilities of other ministers of the gospel. It has to do with the will of God and the power of God. All the glory goes to Christ, the One who is saving souls and changing lives."

No comments:

Post a Comment