Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Letter Of James, Brother Of Jesus. Day 19, God Will Judge Unfair Employers

Thank you for your patience yesterday when I wasn't able to write the blog due to the death of my little dog. I'm grieving terribly this morning but at the same time I'm very thankful that I had her in my life. The Lord has always used my pets to teach me more about Him. It seems like my little dogs have done a better job of following and obeying me than I've done of following and obeying my Lord, so they've set a beautiful example for me to follow.

There is good news about my sister. She was finally released from the hospital yesterday evening. She still has treatments ahead of her and I would appreciate your continuing prayers on her behalf.

In our study this morning James speaks to wealthy employers who treat their workers unfairly. When we first begin reading these verses it's going to appear as if James is speaking harshly against all who are rich, but as we get into our passage we will see that it's the rich oppressors whose behavior he is reproaching. As we've said before in our study of the book of James, it's not a sin to be rich. If you've become wealthy by honest means and are using your wealth in godly ways, praise the Lord! Be thankful for how He's blessed you. Use your blessings to bless others. But James is talking about those who are stingy and selfish. He's talking about those who have it within their power to be a blessing to others but refuse to do so.

To those who want to heap up riches for themselves and who mistreat those to whom they could have been a blessing, James says, "Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you." (James 5:1) Like an Old Testament prophet, James proclaims, "Woe to you, for judgment is coming! You've lived in ease while your workers have trouble putting food on the table. You've worn fine robes while your subordinates scarcely have clothes on their backs. Did you think God wouldn't see this? Did you think He wouldn't defend those you've wronged?"

What good is wealth that's gained from the misery of others? While the rich oppressor counts his money, he's caught up the delusion that his coins are fresh and shiny, when in truth they are dirty and stained. "Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days." (James 5:2-3) When these unrighteous employers stand before God their Judge, the wealth they made off the suffering of others will be evidence used against them in court. No matter how often they polish their coins, God will see the blood, sweat, and tears on them.

Sin can't be hidden from the Lord. In our world the wealthy are often able to hide their sins from their fellow man. Their money sometimes allows them to get things swept under the rug. But God is a Judge who has every single piece of evidence before Him. He can't be bribed or persuaded to look the other way. His is going to defend those who have been wronged. James now gives a dire warning about the Lord's ability to see all sin, no matter how well-hidden it is. "Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty." (James 5:4) When Cain tried to hide his sin from the Lord, the Lord said, "Your brother's blood cries out to Me from the ground." (Genesis 4:10) Abel loved the Lord and was faithful to Him. He was a child of God, and God saw the wrong that was done to him. God sees every wrong that's done to His children. Anyone who thinks he can mistreat a child of God and get away with it is deceiving himself.

James concludes his words to the rich oppressors like this, "You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you." (James 5:5-6) He tells them, "You have indulged your every desire, growing fat on the misery of others. But you're like a farm animal that's being fattened and does not know slaughter is in its future. Every day of that animal's life has included enough food to gorge itself on. It thinks every day of the future will be the same. You rich oppressors think you're living in the lap of luxury and that every day is going to be like today, but judgment is coming."

Today's passage speaks to a particular situation in my life right now. I won't go into detail about my work situation or the things that have gone on there, but the Lord knows every detail and at the right time He will take action. I'm at a point where I need to make decisions and plans for my professional future. I'm counting on the Lord to show me what to do. I'm trusting Him to be fair to me where others haven't been. Maybe some of you are dealing with unfair employment practices, or maybe you've experienced things like that in the past. Trust me (and the Apostle James) when I promise you that God has seen every wrong done to you. God will call to account those who have mistreated you. Just keep trusting Him and conducting yourselves as the children of God, and He will bless you abundantly for every unfair thing that's been done to you.






No comments:

Post a Comment