Saturday, January 19, 2019

The Apostle Paul's Letter To The Philippians. Day 2, In Chains For Christ

We learned earlier in the writings of Paul that instead of deploring his circumstances, he had learned to rejoice in them. He said that because God's grace was sufficient for him, he would take delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, and in difficulties. (2 Corinthians 12:9-10) So today we find him showing gratitude for the privilege of being in chains for preaching the gospel of Christ.

In our study yesterday he told the believers of Philippi that he prayed joyfully for them every time he thought of them. He picks up there by saying, "It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:7-8) He says, "I wish I could be with you. But whether I am with you, or whether I am a prisoner in Rome, you are always in my heart and always in my prayers. God is a witness to this."

"And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ---to the glory and praise of God." (Philippians 1:9-11) This is a beautiful prayer we can pray for anyone. It's an especially good prayer to pray for your children.

"Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel." (Philippians 1:12) The believers of Philippi feel badly for Paul. They'd give anything if he hadn't been arrested and if he weren't a prisoner in Rome. But he wants to put their minds at ease. What to them seems like a bad turn of events is actually part of God's plan for helping the gospel message to reach people in Rome.

"As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ." (Philippians 1:13) Everyone who knew of Paul knew why he was in Rome. They knew he was awaiting trial before Emperor Nero where he would put on his defense---a defense which would actually be a sermon that declares Jesus of Nazareth is the Son of God. Naturally those who interacted with him while he was a prisoner were curious ahead of the trial about what the gospel was, how it led to his current situation, and why it was said that the men who were preaching the gospel were turning the world upside down. (Acts 17:6)

I believe we can safely assume that at least some of those who guarded Paul converted to Christ. The family members of these guards likely converted to Christ. People in the community came to hear Paul preach the gospel and I am certain some of them converted to Christ. Paul was not considered a dangerous prisoner and he was allowed far more privileges than those with criminal records and a propensity for violence, so it would appear that visitation was not restricted in any way. He didn't even have to live in a prison but in a private house, as Luke told us in Acts 28:30-31,"For two whole years Paul stayed there in his own rented house and welcomed all who came to see him. He proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ---with all boldness and without hindrance!"

I wonder if we wouldn't feel a lot better about our circumstances if we followed Paul's example. What if, when we're going through hard times, we asked ourselves, "How can these circumstances be used to advance the gospel of Christ?"


No comments:

Post a Comment