Monday, January 21, 2019

The Apostle Paul's Letter To The Philippians. Day 4, To Live Is Christ; To Die Is Gain

The letter to the Philippians is considered Paul's most joyful letter. He concluded yesterday by saying that he rejoices that the name of Christ is being preached. He picks up again today by speaking of his joy, for he is determined that whether he lives or dies, Christ is all that matters.

"Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and God's provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance." (Philippians 1:18b-19) At first glance it would appear that Paul expects to be set free, but I don't believe that's what he's saying. He hopes to be set free, naturally. But in the context of the remainder of our passage today, it doesn't seem that Paul had any idea whether or not he would be set free or whether or not he would die for the faith. In my opinion, what Paul feared most wasn't death. What he feared most was failing to do everything he possibly could for Christ. The deliverance he sought was not release from prison although he would have made the most of his freedom by continuing to travel to regions where the gospel had never been taught. The deliverance he desired was not from death, although he would have used all the years of a long life to lead others to the Lord. His fear is that he may fail to fully carry out his calling for the Lord, and that to him is a fate worse than death.

"I eagerly hope and expect that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death." (Philippians 1:20) It's easy to see why Paul may have spent sleepless nights worrying he might give in to fear. Fear was a tactic he used against the church before his conversion. He persuaded some to renounce the name of Christ by threatening them with beatings, imprisonment, and death. (Those who refused to give in to fear and renounce Christ experienced---with Paul's approval---beatings, imprisonment, and death.) I think it's only natural he would be concerned about being so overwhelmed by fear that he might stop speaking in the name of Christ in order to save his own life. We know he's already endured a great deal for Christ and it has not stopped him from preaching the gospel. We know he will never disown Christ, but he understands the weakness of the flesh and the human instinct for self-preservation. Fear of death, especially a torturous death, is capable of making anyone go silent. He knows that due to fear the Apostle Peter denied three times that he knew Christ. He knows that he himself caused Christians to claim they didn't know Christ. This is why I think that the prayer Paul most wants the Philippians to pray for him is the prayer he asked the Ephesians to pray for him, "Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." (Ephesians 6:19-20)

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21) This is something everyone who is in Christ can say. Our lives should be centered on Christ; therefore to live is Christ. To die is gain because we will leave this world to be with Him forever. When we think of it like this, we realize that everything is Christ. This life is Christ. Death is Christ. Eternity is Christ. Nothing ever has or ever will matter more than Christ.

"If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body." (Philippians 1:22-24) Although his words make it sound as if the choice is up to him, Paul is not expressing any suicidal thoughts. He's not saying he'd like to take his life so he can leave this world to be with Christ. I think he's saying that if it were up to him, he'd be happy to have the Lord call him home right now.

We've all had days when we wished the Lord would just call us on out, haven't we? We can understand why Paul says that to be with Christ is "better by far" than remaining in this fallen world. But Paul is going to live on for a time because he still has things the Lord wants him to do on the earth. You and I are still alive and kicking this morning because the Lord still has things for us to do on earth. Of course we'd be happier in the presence of our Lord, but for the benefit of our fellow man we must remain here for a time to be a light to them. Paul understands this is why he is still living, so he says, "But it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body." (Philippians 1:24) The churches Paul founded are still young. They still need his wisdom and encouragement.

"Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me." (Philippians 1:25-26) History is not very clear on the details of Paul's death. We can see that when he wrote this letter he still hoped to be set free to resume his missionary travels, but early church tradition tells us that he was beheaded on orders of Emperor Nero, probably somewhere between 64 AD and the end of Nero's reign in 68 AD. Nero's persecution of Christians really began to break out following the great fire of 64 AD, a fire which he is believed to have instigated and blamed on the Christians, much in the same way that the Nazis are believed to have burned the Reichstag and blamed it on the Communists. If Paul is writing the letter to the Philippians in around 62 AD, as many scholars believe, then he has somewhere between two to six years left to live.

In verse 26 above Paul concludes our section today by saying that the Philippians will boast in Christ Jesus on account of him. They will praise the Lord for the courage and strength He's given Paul during all his adversities. They're going to thank the Lord for sending Paul to them in the first place to preach the gospel, and for helping Paul to stay in touch with them so their own strength and courage could grow. If Paul is set free they are going to rejoice. If Paul gives his life for the faith they're still going to rejoice that he stood strong til the end.






No comments:

Post a Comment