Thursday, November 28, 2019

In The Beginning. Day 65, God Performs A Sign For Abram, Part One

The Lord has promised Abram both a son and a great nation from his family line. Today Abram asks for a sign that these things are going to come to pass. We were told yesterday that Abram "believed the Lord" when he was given these promises, so I don't think Abram wants a sign because he lacks faith. In this moment, while the Lord is speaking to him, Abram believes wholeheartedly what the Lord is saying. But Abram knows his own human nature. He knows that as time goes on, the struggles and cares of life may cause him to become impatient or doubtful or discouraged. He needs something he can hold onto in those moments. He needs to be able to say to himself, "Remember what the Lord did on the day He promised you an heir who will be your own flesh and blood?"

The Lord who created us knows our weaknesses. Whenever the Lord has promised me something that looks impossible in my present situation, I've asked Him to give me something to hold onto. I don't think it's a sin to ask for a sign; there are a number of instances in the Scriptures where people either asked for a sign or the Lord offered them a sign without them even having to ask. Does a good and loving human father not try to reassure his child that he's really going to do something he's promised? Why should our good and loving heavenly Father be any different? Sometimes we have to wait for years to see a promise come true, and in the meantime we have to deal with the responsibilities of our daily lives plus deal with the circumstance that the Lord has promised to change. We can become weary in waiting. We can begin to doubt whether the Lord made us a promise at all. He knows this and is so gentle and patient with us in our weakness.

The Lord knows Abram is about to ask Him for a sign. Before Abram asks, the Lord first reminds him of all the things He's done for him so far. "He also said to him, 'I am the Lord, who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land and to take possession of it.'" (Genesis 15:7) He says something like, "You sought me while living in a pagan land filled with false gods. You knew something was missing in your 'religion'. You deeply desired a relationship with the one true God, and because you sought Me, I found you. I called you and made Myself known to you. I formed a relationship with you. I also called you to leave Ur and go into a land that I will give to your descendants. You obeyed me and I brought you safely to this place. Look how far we've come together! Look how many times I've protected you from danger so far! Won't I always be the faithful God I've already been to you?"

I'm reminded of a verse from the song "Amazing Grace" that says: "Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come; 'tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home." One of the best ways we can look toward the future in faith is to look back at how far the Lord has already brought us. How many times did He step in to save the day? How many times did bad news turn into good news? How many times did He do the impossible? He's the same God today that He was then! He doesn't change. He didn't bring us this far to leave us by the roadside. He's going to be with us all the way home.

"But Abram said, 'Sovereign Lord, how can I know that I will gain possession of it?'" (Genesis 15:8) The Lord doesn't chastise Abram for his need of a sign. Instead, in tomorrow's passage, the Lord performs an act that was considered a legal and binding agreement in those days. In doing so, He gives Abram and his descendants the deed to the land. Join us tomorrow as we study a practice that was known as "cutting covenant".







No comments:

Post a Comment