Saturday, April 6, 2019

The Apostle Paul's Letter To Titus. Day 5, Live Productive Lives

I'm sorry about not being able to do the blog yesterday morning. I had been awake all night with excruciating tooth pain and I sat down to try and concentrate on writing the blog but I was feeling so bad I couldn't think straight. It turned out to be an abscessed tooth and I'm on antibiotics for it until I can get a root canal done. It's still quite painful but not as painful as it was. My dentist, who is usually open on Fridays, was for some reason closed and I prayed that the Lord would help me find somebody who would see me on an emergency basis, and He answered my prayer and got me the help I needed. Bless His name! He's so good to me!

Today we will be finishing Paul's short letter to Titus. In Thursday's passage he spoke of how we should be patient and merciful with each other because God has been patient and merciful with us. Today he tells us what not to do, then he gives Titus some instructions concerning church business, then he concludes by reminding us that we are saved to serve and must live productive lives.

"But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless." (Titus 3:9) Paul gave a similar instruction to Timothy. These disputes do nothing but distract people from the saving message of the gospel. Does a person's genealogy save him? No. I come from a long line of believers, but the fact that my mother and grandmother were Christians doesn't save my soul. Their salvation doesn't transfer to me just because we're related. Does the law save anyone? No, because salvation is by grace through faith, not by works. So Paul rightly says that getting caught up in arguments about such things is "unprofitable and useless".

Has anyone in your church ever seemed intent on stirring up trouble? Have you ever spoken with a visitor at church who told you he's tried attending several churches in the area but that he found something wrong with all of them? If a person can't get along with church members in several churches, the fault is probably his. Not too long ago someone like this began attending my church and trying to accuse the pastor of teaching the Bible wrong. (Trust me, no one with any Bible knowledge at all could rightfully accuse my pastor of not teaching the word of God exactly as it's written.) The pastor tried to reason privately with him several times but got nowhere with him and eventually had to tell this man to stop harassing him. But he didn't stop, so a few of the church elders met privately with him and told him that causing a disturbance would not be tolerated, but he persisted and even made threats against the pastor and his family. At that point he was called into a meeting with the pastor, all the elders and deacons, and the county sheriff. It was revealed by the sheriff that this man had already been asked to leave other churches for making the same type of threats. He was told at the meeting at my church not to come on the church property again. The words Paul is about to write to Titus prove that my church (and the others in my community) handled this matter properly. 

"Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. You may be sure that such people are warped and sinful; they are self-condemned." (Titus 3:10-11) My boss has a saying, "You can't reason with a fool," and I think that saying could easily apply to what Paul is telling Titus. In the Bible the word "fool" doesn't mean someone who is silly or lacking in common sense, although that's generally how we use the word "fool" in our times. It definitely doesn't mean someone who is mentally handicapped. In the Bible the word means someone who is lacking spiritual and moral integrity. It is someone who has no interest in hearing the truth. Paul says, "Warn a person like this twice, but after that don't have anything to do with them." Allowing someone who isn't interested in the truth to disrupt church services is going to keep those who do want to know the truth from learning anything.

Paul moves on to church administrative matters. "As soon as I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicapolis, because I have decided to winter there. Do everything you can to help Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way and see that they have everything they need." (Titus 3:12-13)

Next he reminds us that as Christians we must set goals for doing good. This is not because we are saved by works or because we can "add to" our salvation with good deeds. It's because as the people of Christ we should do what Christ would do. We are His representatives in this world and we must represent Him well if we want others to accept Him as their Lord and Savior. "Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order to provide for urgent needs and not live unproductive lives." (Titus 3:14)

He concludes with one of his typical blessings. "Everyone with me sends you greetings. Greet those who love us in the faith. Grace be with you all." (Titus 3:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment