Thursday, September 13, 2018

Paul's Second Letter To The Church At Corinth. Day 2, Paul's Plans Unavoidably Changed

Back in 1 Corinthians 4 we learned that some of the believers at Corinth weren't fans of Paul. They were saying things like, "He's not going to come back here. His promises to visit are nothing but empty words. He writes us these letters telling us what we should do and how we should live, but he's afraid to say these things to us in person." When Paul learned that some were accusing him of not keeping his word, he said, "I will come to you very soon, if the Lord is willing." (1 Corinthians 4:19) Paul very much wanted to go back and visit with the people of Corinth, but his work at Ephesus has prevented him from returning so far, and the will of the Lord has prevented him from returning so far. Today he reminds the people of Corinth that he still intends to come see them and that he would already have been there if his plans hadn't been unavoidably changed. He also tells them they should be grateful he didn't visit earlier when things were going so wrong in their behavior.

"Now this is our boast: Our conscience testifies that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you, with integrity and godly sincerity. We have done so, not relying on worldly wisdom but on God's grace. For we do not write you anything you cannot read or understand. And I hope that, as you have understood us in part, you will come to understand fully that you can boast of us just as we will boast of you in the day of the Lord Jesus." (2 Corinthians 1:12-14) He says, "The other apostles and I have nothing to be ashamed of. When we make a promise we do everything possible to keep that promise. I still intend to come and see you just as soon as I can. Those who are saying I won't will be ashamed of themselves."

"Because I was confident of this, I wanted to visit you first so that you might benefit twice. I wanted to visit you on my way to Macedonia and to come back to you from Macedonia, and then to have you send me on my way to Judea. Was I fickle when I intended to do this? Or do I make my plans in a worldly manner so that in the same breath I say both 'Yes, yes' and 'No, no'?" (2 Corinthians 1:15-17) His original plan was to visit them twice, but once he saw he was going to be pressed for time he decided he would only stop by on the way back. (1 Corinthians 16:5-7) Spending only a few hours with the believers on his way to Macedonia wasn't going to be satisfactory for him or them. He wanted to stop by when he could spend a longer time with them, perhaps the whole winter. He wants to enjoy their company and he wants them to enjoy his company.

"But as surely as God is faithful, our message to you is not 'Yes' and 'No'. For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us---by me and Silas and Timothy---was not 'Yes' and 'No', but in Him it has always been 'Yes'." (2 Corinthians 1:18-19) There is nothing misleading about Christ. He is faithful in every way. Paul and Silas and Timothy have preached the gospel truthfully and in the good conscience of knowing they have said nothing misleading about Christ. Why then would anyone at Corinth believe they are "two-faced" in their words and actions toward them?

"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are 'Yes' in Christ. And so through Him the 'Amen' is spoken by us to the glory of God. Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set His seal of ownership on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." (2 Corinthians 1:20-22) Paul fears that the Corinthian believers, who suspect him of being two-faced and wishy-washy, will begin to think of Christ in this way too. They might begin to doubt the Lord's promises because they are beginning to doubt Paul's promises. This is why we must be so careful about how we behave in this world. Believers and unbelievers alike watch us to see whether we are the real deal or not. When we Christians behave deceptively it hurts those who counted on us to be better than that. It can even cause others to doubt whether there is any use in following Christ.

"I call God as my witness---and I stake my life on it---that it was in order to spare you that I did not return to Corinth. Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, because it is by faith you stand firm." (2 Corinthians 1:23-24) He tells them, "You should be thankful I haven't had a chance to come there yet, for I would have had to take a hard line with you over the way you've been conducting yourselves in the church. If you think the things I said in my first letter were harsh, you should be glad I didn't have to say them to you in person. I have been hindered from coming before now, and I think that has turned out to be a good thing for all of us, for when I come I don't want to have to chastise you. I want to be able to encourage you in the faith and I want you to be able to encourage me in the faith. It's not that I think I'm better than any of you. But since I was the first to preach Christ to you I regard you as my dear children, and like any good father I would have had to scold you for the things I discussed in my first letter. I would rather come to you when things are going well, when I can praise you as a father praises his obedient children."










No comments:

Post a Comment