Friday, May 11, 2018

The Letter Of The Apostle Paul To The Romans. Day 2, Not Ashamed Of The Gospel

As we learned yesterday, the Apostle Paul wrote his letter to the believers in Rome several years before he ever met any of them face to face. He likely wrote the letter from Corinth, and when he wrote it he spoke of his longing to visit the believers at Rome, but he had no idea that when he traveled to Rome he would go as a prisoner and not as a free man.

In our passage today he tells the believers at Rome how thankful he is for them and how much he wants to see them. He is happy they have accepted the gospel message, the message he wants to declare to the whole world.

"First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world." (Romans 1:8) It would have been widely known that a Christian church is growing by leaps and bounds at Rome. The transformation of these Gentiles would have been talked about far and wide. They are bold in their faith, unashamed of the gospel just as Paul is unashamed of the gospel. It is a good thing their love for Christ is so strong, for within a decade they will be viciously persecuted by the emperor. They would not have been able to persevere under trial unless their faith had been strong.

It's easy to see why the apostle is so dearly loved in the church. Yesterday we found him reminding the Romans how much the Lord loves them. Today he tells them how much he loves them, how thankful he is for them, and that he prays for them constantly. Doesn't it warm our hearts when someone tells us things like this? "God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of His Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God's will the way may be opened for me to come to you." (Romans 1:9-10)

Because the faith of these believers has been such an encouragement to him, Paul wants to be an encouragement to them. "I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong---that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith." (Romans 1:11-12) It's probable that Paul is speaking of the type of spiritual gifts that were displayed at Pentecost and at other times in the book of Acts. Whoever took the gospel to Rome must not have been an apostle, because it would appear from the book of Acts that an apostle is needed to impart spiritual gifts such as these. Paul wants to meet the believers face to face, to place his hands on them, and to pray over them so that they may be able to perform signs and miracles.

"I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that I planned many times to come to you (but have prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles." (Romans 1:13) Paul says, "I wouldn't want you to think I haven't visited you yet because I don't want to. I've made plans for the journey several times only to have things come up that caused me to have to postpone the trip. I want to minister to those of you at Rome just as much as I want to minister to people anywhere else."

"I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. This is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome." (Romans 1:14-15) Paul feels an intense longing to preach the gospel to both Jews and Gentiles, to those who know the Scriptures and to those who do not, to those who recognize the one true God and to those who are bowing their knees to idols. The apostle, who once was obsessed with persecuting Christians, can now think of nothing else but telling as many people as possible about Christ. Twenty-four hours a day this is all that's on his mind. He wants everyone in the world to experience the life-changing power of Christ, just as he has.

Next Paul makes one of the most well known declarations of the New Testament: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile." (Romans 1:16) Rome was the cultural center of the world in Paul's day. Some of his detractors may have accused him of failing to visit Rome because he doesn't feel comfortable about preaching the gospel of a crucified carpenter from Nazareth in a place where many of the most educated men of the ancient world will try to debate with him. Paul is quick to assure the believers at Rome that this is not true. It's as if he is saying, "I am not ashamed of the gospel anywhere! I will preach Christ to the uneducated peasants. I will preach Christ to the learned philosophers. I will preach Christ in the country. I will preach Christ in the city. I will preach Christ to the Jews. I will preach Christ to the Gentiles. Wherever I go I will preach Christ!"

"For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed---a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: 'The righteous will live by faith.'" (Romans 1:17) Paul is compelled to preach the gospel, for by faith in it the believer is justified in the sight of a righteous God. Without faith we could never stand in His court and be declared not guilty, because we are guilty. But when we place our faith in Christ, who was never guilty of any sin, He imparts His righteousness to us. Then, as we stand before a holy God, God sees not our guilt but Christ's holiness. Paul wants every person on the face of the earth to obtain this good standing before God, so day and night the only thought in his mind is sharing the gospel.

May we all have more of the attitude Paul had. More than anything in this world, we ought to want to see souls saved by the power of Christ. Lord, help us to have hearts like Yours! Help us to love others the way You love them!




No comments:

Post a Comment