Sunday, September 10, 2017

Counseled By The King: The Proverbs Of Solomon. Day 94, What Is His Son's Name?

Chapter 30 contains the sayings of a man named Agur, a man who is not known outside of the book of Proverbs. Some scholars believe he may have lived during the reign of King Hezekiah, since we just concluded a section of Solomon's sayings that were collected by Hezekiah. All we know about Agur is that he was a man of humble character whose words are said to be inspired, and we can safely conclude that his words were inspired by the Holy Spirit, for he received an Old Testament vision of the Son of God. The chapter begins, "The sayings of Agur son of Jakeh---an inspired utterance." (Proverbs 30:1)

"This man's utterance to Ithiel: 'I am weary, God, but I can prevail. Surely I am only a brute, not a man; I do not have human understanding. I have not learned wisdom, nor have I attained to the knowledge of the Holy One." (Proverbs 30:2-3) We don't know the identity of Ithiel, either, but he may have been the man who wrote down the words of Agur. Agur expresses his utter inability to understand the awesome nature of God. He is not the only man of the Bible to speak with such humility. Job, after God finally spoke to him, said, "Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know...My ears had heard of You but now my eyes have seen You. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:3b,5-6) David knew he was incapable of comprehending all of God's plans, so he purposed in his heart to trust in the Lord even when he didn't understand, "I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me." (Psalm 131:1b) Agur is saying, "I believe in God. I can't describe Him. I can't understand everything about Him. I am so lowly and He is so mighty. I can never hope to know everything about Him while I live in this flesh."

He now reveals his belief that no one truly knows God and that no one but God's Son can reveal Him to us. "Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Whose hands have gathered up the wind? Who has wrapped up the waters in a cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and what is the name of his Son? Surely you know!" (Proverbs 30:4) The Apostle John, when affirming the deity of Jesus Christ, said, "No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made Him known." (John 1:18) Agur is asking, "Who can reveal God to me? Who can make Him known to me? Who can bring Him down to my level so I can understand Him and have fellowship with Him?" This Old Testament believer had only a shadowy idea of the coming incarnation, but the Apostle John lived in a time when Christ had become living flesh and had dwelt among men. John says, "No man has ever seen Almighty God. But we have seen the Son. The Son has revealed God to us. He has made Him known to us. In Christ, God came down to our level so we could understand Him and have fellowship with Him." Jesus confirmed the truth of this by saying, "Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father." (John 14:9)

"Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words, or He will rebuke you and prove you a liar." (Proverbs 30:5-6) The word of God is perfect and whole. There is nothing we can add to it. Additions made by man can only corrupt the Scriptures, which is why such a stern warning is given at the end of the book of Revelation regarding the prophecies contained in it, "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll." (Revelation 22:18-19) God is indescribably holy and the word of God is indescribably holy. The Lord performed all the work of salvation and there's nothing we can add to it. My works didn't save me; the works of Christ saved me. There's nothing I can do to make myself more saved. In the same way, the word of God needs nothing from me. Adding the traditions or rituals of man to it will only pervert it and perhaps keep our fellow man from coming to the truth of the salvation that is by faith alone.

We conclude today's portion of Chapter 30 with this beautiful prayer, "Two things I ask of You, Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown You and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." (Proverbs 30:7-9) This man Agur loves the Lord. He claims the Lord as his own, calling Him "my God". He prays about his heart's desire, which is to live a life that honors his God. He fears becoming false and hypocritical, so he asks the Lord to help him to remain an honest man. He has seen people become lifted up in pride as their riches increase, so he tells the Lord only to provide what he needs. He has also seen people become hungry enough to steal, so he asks the Lord not to allow him to be in want. In all things and in every way Agur intends to honor the name of God.









No comments:

Post a Comment